Personal injury is an injury to the body, mind or emotions, as opposed to an injury to property. Personal injury claims can be made for a wide variety of reasons, but they all center on the injured party suffering some kind of loss due to the negligence or recklessness of others. What may originally look like a minor injury may turn out to be more serious than it seemed. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, you should consult a lawyer before you accept what an insurance company presents as its settlement. At the Stephen M. Smith & Associates, our attorneys can help you understand the full extent of coverage you can legally claim.
- Car accidents caused by careless or dangerously distracted drivers, drunk drivers, uninsured drivers or hit-and-run drivers
- Motorcycle accidents caused by negligent drivers or hazardous road conditions
- Pedestrian accidents in which drivers failed to yield or drive with caution Commercial truck accidents involving delivery trucks and commercial vehicles Public transportation accidents involving streetcars or RTA buses
- Slip-and-fall accidents and other premises liability injuries Dog bites (pet owners are strictly liable for harm to others)
- Workplace injuries, including heavy equipment accidents, dangerous machinery, construction sites, maritime or motor vehicles, at docking facilities or construction sites, or any work-related accident
At Stephen M. Smith & Associates we can not only help you discover the extent of your damages, but we can also make sure that your claim is addressed in a timely manner. Even though insurers may try to convince you that a lawsuit is unnecessary, their initial offer is most certainly an underestimation of your actual damages. Insurers are expected to keep costs down for the benefit of their policyholders, but you are entitled to full compensation. Often, insurance policies are filled with complicated language that can be confusing to an untrained reader.
DO NOT let the insurance company use you, Call Stephen M. Smith and Associates TODAY at 504-947-1400.
You have a right to an attorney throughout the entire process. When it comes to criminal cases, an experienced and effective criminal defense attorney can mean the difference between a prison sentence and reduced or dismissed charges.
At Stephen M. Smith & Associates we are dedicated to defending the rights of the accused and our criminal defense attorneys are committed to the presumption of innocence. Even in a misdemeanor case, a good criminal defense attorney can make a serious impact on the outcome of the case by ensuring that the rights of the accused are protected throughout the entire process. For these and other reasons, it is essential that those accused of a crime select the most competent, experienced and effective attorney.
DO NOT PLAY with your legal defense, call Stephen M. Smith & Associates at 504-947-1400.
- Municipal Offenses
- Federal Crimes
- Federal Criminal Defense
- White Collar Crimes
- Burglary and Robbery
- DWI Defense
- DMV Administrative Hearings
- Sex Crimes Defense
- Child Pornography
- Computer Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Defense Parole and Probation Violations
- Murder Assault and Battery
- Drug Crimes
- Property Crimes
- Criminal Damage to Property
- Arson Fraud
- Theft /Shoplifting
- Juvenile Cases
- Habitual Offender Defense
- Bond Hearings
- Weapons Charges
DWI, Municipal and Traffic
A DWI charge is very serious. Driving under the influence is a severe crime in every state. The consequences of a conviction are life-altering. If you don’t seek a professional DWI lawyers to protect your rights, You may face:
- Jail time Job loss
- Loss of driver’s license
- Insurance coverage complications
- Impounding of your vehicle
- Ignition interlock device
- Probation Community service
- Alcohol education/ treatment/assessment
- Restricted interstate or international travel
Stephen M. Smith & Associates provides experienced and skilled defense for clients charged with drunk driving. If you have been arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI), sometimes referred to as driving under the influence (DUI), we can help you. We can defend you from criminal charges and help you save your license after an arrest. If you have been arrested for DWI you MUST immediately request an administrative hearing to prevent your license from being suspended 30 days after your arrest. Failure to request this hearing timely will result in you losing the right to contest the automatic suspension.
Everybody comes to New Orleans for a good time; however, sometimes that time turns out bad. When you are arrested for municipal crimes such as fighting on Bourbon Street, Drunk in Public, Trespassing, etc. contact us immediately. We will provide you with the best representation and if you are from out of town we can often times resolve any legal issues without the need for your presence in Court.
Traffic citations left unattended are a great way to ruin your day. When you get a ticket let us represent you. In most cases we will get your charges dropped or reduced without the need for your appearance in Court. In any event, our fee will be less than the fine should you pay the ticket without our representation. In addition, we will work to prevent a moving violation from appearing on your driving recordwhenever possible.
We offer the best resolution of a bad situation before it gets worse.